This is a See The Space guide for members to give to potential Makespace members.
- Set up with space donated by the University, funding from the government via Ideaspace, and created by the three dedicated idea people: Jonny, Simon and Laura.
- It's a community - mutual help
- Costs £40 per month.
- This pays only for the space (and 24/7 access with a keyfob) and the equipment.
- Training courses are run by volunteers, materials you use (eg acrylic) you pay for (or bring your own).
- Concept of the owners for equipment
- Part of the community spirit of the place
Ask their interests - what they want out of the space
Any questions before doing the tour?
- Storage boxes for people (buy or supply your own box)
- Main space
- Health and safety overview (it's not an induction - just be clear what we expect)
- Honesty boxes
- Community - tidying, helping each other, training
- Go through all major equipment
- Say what we're actively working to improve (but please don't make promises we can't definitely keep)
- Explain green/yellow/red kit, that they need to get inductions on red kit
- Enthuse about anything you love
- If you don't know much about something explain as such, and offer to put them in touch with the owner
- Secure workshop
- Make sure it's safe to enter! (Ask anyone working in there to pause for a few minutes)
- Thank our sponsors outside the kitchen, congratulate yourself if you're on it
- Kitchen (please keep it tidy, honesty box)
- Chillout area
- Loos (give them the keyfob if anyone needs to go)
Reconvene in the main space, ask if any more questions.
The can sign up at makespace.org/membership
- They get a fob and a workspace induction, and then they can use the space whenever they wish.
- Inductions on kit - please do ask for induction courses to be run!
- Also: meetup.com, wiki, googlegroups, forum.
Tell them they're welcome to hang around after the tour and ask questions?