(Taken from https://www.emfcamp.org/)
August 29th–31st 2014 Bletchley, UK
Electromagnetic Field is a UK camping festival for those with an inquisitive mind or an interest in making things: hackers, artists, geeks, crafters, scientists, and engineers.
EMF Camp is now over!
Tickets are currently £95 for weekend camping, there are add-on tickets for car parking and camper van/caravan parking.
The EMF camp wiki is: http://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Field_2014
Things to Bring
(See http://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/Packing_List for more details)
- A tent
- A torch
- Money to buy awesome things
- A ~10m mains extension cable
- A ~10m ethernet cable
- Electronicy geeky things obviously
Members @ EMF
- Robert K +1 (lift might be available)
- I'll be bringing a 3D printer, a 13.6kg combat robot, an LED Display, 100Watt LED.
- Toby M
- Potentially a large quadcopter if my flying skills improve enough :)
- Mat C +1 (lift might be available)
- Brian C
- Mark T
- Mark M (lift might be available from Hitchin)
- Mark C + kids (6 & 8)
- Tom O
- I'll bring some BaseBots, and I'm planning to bring along the necessary audio gear to do a live show of electronic music based on sounds sampled from around the camp. What could possibly go wrong?
- Tom M
- I'll bring my project, a 3D printer that makes clothes. I've also applied to do a talk about it.
- JCGS (bringing Land-Rover camper, can give lifts to up to 12 or 13 at a pinch)
- Kim SJ
- I'll bring the Badger, at least. And maybe some Pi stuff.
- Alexandra G. (+1..up to +3 possibly)
- Chris A
- Michal S --> email@example.com --> departure time Friday 12 noon from Cambourne (can pick you up from Cambridge if you ask nicely, but even then I'd give you directions to the bus number 4...)
- Anne H. & friend
- Laura J + Michael D (subject to other commitments)
There has been a suggestion of setting up Makespace Cambridge in the Hackspace Village. This would allow us to have a central Makespace tent and a place to show off our (un)finished projects! We have an offer of 2 marquees; 10m x 4m (can be put up as 6mx4m) and 12m x 6m from Kim SJ's brother. We need to decide what we want to do for our Makespace Camp.
(Taken from http://wiki.emfcamp.org/wiki/Travel)
The site has the postcode MK17 0BU. This is roughly a mile outside of Newton Longville.
Public transport links don't look to be the best with Google Maps estimating it to be a 3 bus 3 hour journey or a 4 hour trip via London. It would thus be advisable to lift share with others.
- We need a large marquee/tent.
- Buy Kims brothers' one?
- We'll need to buy/make some guy ropes and associated pegs.
- Bad idea to use Duct Tape on the windows -- it leaves residue which is hard to clean off (as Kim discovered!) It is OK to use it on the canvas.
- Buy Kims brothers' one?
- Semi secure dropoff point if poss?
- Tea/coffee making facilities (if it's a robot, it can serve people)
- 4 tables is not quite enough, take 6.
- Don't forget chairs!
- Ground sheet
- Roll-up banner is nice, but need larger banners
- Robert K. is on this.
- Getting our big exhibition stand working would be cool
- We needed more information on static displays for when the maker isn't around.
- May need to make the Cambridge part of Cambridge Makespace more prominent.
- Need some information on the Makespace facilities
- Include some QR Codes
- moar stickers!
Other Lessons Learnt
For future events this is what we learnt:
- Villages are great!
- Need lights for late at night
- Halogen is a no-no; they blow circuit breakers.
- Need C-Form power connector
- and better distribution arrangements
- nice to have something folks can do. sign up workshop or (limited hours) drop in
- evaluating Titanium spork as option - will get instructables from Richard Sewell - was v popular at emf
- Ear plugs may help some people to sleep better.