How to buy things for Makespace
If you've been asked or want to buy something for Makespace, this is how to do it:
1. Make sure you know exactly what you are buying
- Check with the community (eg via the Google group) or the directors firstname.lastname@example.org if you aren't sure.
2. Check that you are authorised to buy the thing (otherwise you might have to pay for it yourself!).
- Fill in a simple request for expense authorisation stating what it is and expected cost Purchase Request Form
- Assuming it is approved, you are sent an auth code by email and can go ahead with purchase.
3. Buy the thing.
- If it's a normal purchase: go ahead. Make sure you get a receipt and a VAT receipt if available.
- If it's a trade sale: Makespace's VAT number and registered address are on makespace.org and you might need them. If you are setting up a trade account you might want to check with management@ makespace.org first because if invoices are going to arrive, we need to spot them and pay them!
- If it's an informal transaction, eg cash in hand, you should think about how you are going to show that the transaction took place!
- If it's getting delivered to Makespace directly, you might want to make sure there will be someone around to sign for it - ask on the Google Group or in IRC.
4. Get your money back.
- After purchase (Assuming you paid for the thing), you need to fill in an Expense Reimbursement Form. List the actual cost, attach the scanned receipts and provide your bank details along with that auth code (from step 2) to tie it back to the original request.
- We will try to pay you by bank transfer within a week or two; if you desperately need quick payment, you should probably check before you spend any money that we can process the receipt quickly.
5. Bring the thing to Makespace following the new thing process: New Equipment Induction
6. Bring the paper receipt to Makespace and leave in the dropbox on the back office / Store Room door.